Grade 5 Discover! Simulations
Unit A: The Life Processes
Unit B: Interactions Among Living Things
Unit C: Earth Systems
Unit D: Atmosphere and Solar System
Unit E: Kinds of Matter
Unit F: Forms of Energy
Go Open Michigan Matter, Energy, Ecosystems
Lesson 1 Ecosystems
FREE TIME LEARNING VIDEOS
1. finicky: exceptionally fussy or hard to satisfy 2. grudgingly: reluctant or unwillingly 3. adz: an ax-like tool with a curved, sharp edged head set crosswise to the wood 4. snare: a trap for catching small animals 5. nonchalant: not showing excitement or care; cooly confident 6. suspicion: the act of not believing or suspecting 7. ponder: to think about something deeply and carefully 8. puny: very small or weak; feeble 9. envious: showing or feeling envy or desire for what another has
1. indignant: feeling or showing anger about something considered to be unfair 2. goad: to spur on to action 3. immense: very large; huge 4. solemn: serious in appearance, sound, or mood 5. hideous: ugly or frightening 6. pungent: sharp and strong in taste or smell 7. dignity: pride or respect as shown in one’s appearance or behavior 8. discard: to throw out or away; cast off 9. placid: calm, smooth, or peaceful
Chapter 7 and 8
1. What did Attean bring with him to the first learning session?
2. How do you know Attean was not happy about learning the White Man’s words?
3. Instead of teaching the letter B, what did Matt do?
4. “Indians do not need things from the ship.” Finish Attean statement.
Chapter 9 and 10
1. How did Attean kill the rabbit?
2. What had Attean learned from Matt so far?
3. Attean got upset while Matt was reading, what was he upset about?
4. Matt would never have to worry about a losing a hook again, why?
Chapter 11 and 12
1. What was in the woods that Attean lead Matt too?
2. What does the sign of the beaver mean to the Indians?
3. What did Attean do to remember the way back to the cabin?
4. Matt only saw Attean use his bow once, what did he use it for?
5. What was Matt making?
Chapter 13 and 14
1. Who do they think set the trap?
2. Whose land was the fox on?
3. Why did they not help the fox get out of the trap?
4. What book did Matt get now that Robinson Crusoe was over?
5. How was the Indian story different than Noah in the Bible story?
Chapter 15 and 16
1. What did Matt and Attean run into?
2. How did the boys take down/kill the bear?
3. What did Attean tell the bear?
4. Where did Attean take Matt?
5. Where did Matt sleep?
Chapter 17 and 18
1. How do the men hunt for deer now?
2. Why did Attean grandmother hate white men?
3. What happened to Attean father?
4. What animal was trapped in the fox trap?
5. Who is Marie?
1. retort: to make a sharp answer 2. ordeal: a painful, difficult experience 3. boisterous: loud, unrestrained, and in high spirits; rowdy 4. venture: to go forward in spite of risk 5. scant: scarcely enough; very little 6. knack: natural talent; ability with ease 7. flounder: to move forward in a clumsy way; often losing balance 8. clamor: loud noise that goes on for some time 9. fend: to try to provided for one’s own needs
Chapter 19 and 20
1. What did Matt give up when he lost in the game?
2. Why does the dog like Matt now?
3. How long was it before Attean came to visit Matt?
4. What did Attean have to find?
5. What was Attean afraid of?
Chapter 21 and 22
1.Who came with Attean to Matt’s cabin?
2. What new item did Attean have with him?
3. Why did Matt not go with Saknis and Attean?
4. Why were Attean and his family leaving their home?
5. What gift did Attean give to Matt?
Chapter 23 and 24
1. Matt has not had luck with hunting, what will he eat so he does not starve?
2. What did Matt make for his mom?
3. What did Matt make for the baby and his sister Sarah?
4. What did Matt use as a shovel?
5. What item had set Matt free?
Use your imagination and details from the book to draw a picture of your favorite setting from the book. You may pick Matt’s cabin, Attean’s village, or the beaver dam.